MYSTIC, Conn. — Mystic Seaport Museum will be transformed into a celebration of Viking culture, complete with craft demonstrations, live performances, and on-the-water activities, June 1 and 2.
Visitors can explore a Viking village encampment by living historians Draugar Vinlands and the clinker-built Viking longship, Draken Harald Hårfagre, a reconstruction of what the Norse Sagas refer to as a "Great Ship."
Scandinavian food and drink will be available for purchase and the waterfront with traditional faering sailing and a Nordic boat-building demonstration. There will be hands-on activities and games for children and adults throughout the day, and a special Planetarium show on Viking navigation.
• Public deck tours of the Draken Harald Hårfagre
• Screenings of the full length Draken documentary Expedition America – a Modern Viking Adventure
• Viking encampment with Draugar Vinlands
• Hands-on activities including traditional Viking games, crafts, and tug of war
• Build a toy Viking longship
• Lectures on various aspects of Viking history by Dr. William Short and Lynn Noel, and talks about the Draken’s adventures by her captain Björn Ahlander.
• Musical and stage performances
• Mead-making demonstrations
• Gotland sheep and woolen crafts
• Special Planetarium show, "Stars of the Vikings"
• Norse boat building and faering demonstrations (a faering is a traditional Norse boat)
Viking Days activities are included with regular Museum admission (separate charge for food, beverages, Planetarium shows, toy boat building, and children’s crafts).
For a complete list and schedule of all activities, visit www.mysticseaport.org/vikingdays.
A concert by the American Rogues, who are returning to the Museum for their second appearance, will take place June 1. The Rogues are an American-Canadian Celtic rock band that crosses the musical landscape to include jigs, reels, hornpipes, ballads, originals, covers, soundtracks, patriotic and military music, Irish foot-stompers, and more. The concert begins at 6:30 p.m. and requires a separate ticket. Advance tickets are $25 (up to 3 p.m., May 31). Day-of tickets are $35 ($30 for Museum members and $30 for Viking Days general admission ticket holders).
Tickets may be purchased online at www.mysticseaport.org or by calling (860) 572-5331.